Click any route segment image above to see info for that segment.
Sun Link Tucson Streetcar
Welcome to the City of Tucson Sun Link Streetcar Project Construction Update. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
This update is for the week of August 11, 2013.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- The contractor has completed 98% of the underground utility upgrades and relocations and 100% of the project has rail installed. Completed roadway sections for the Tucson Sun Link Streetcar include:
- All of 2nd Street from Warren Avenue to Park Avenue
- Park Avenue from 2nd Street to University Boulevard
- University Boulevard from Park Avenue to 4th Avenue
- 4th Avenue from University Boulevard to 9th Street
- Congress Street from Toole Avenue to Granada Avenue
- Broadway from Granada Avenue to 5th Street still needs final paving
- Granada Avenue from Congress Street to Cushing Street still needs final paving
- Avenida del Convento from Cushing Street to Congress Street still needs final paving
- Congress Street from Avenida del Convento to Linda Avenue
- Linda Avenue from Congress Street to Cushing Street
- Cable wire is being installed all along the streetcar route, but impacts to traffic are minimal during this operation and usually only require parking or lane restrictions in the immediate area of the installation. Work is also being completed on the stops along the route, some of which will have special art installations.
Following is detailed information for work from August 11, 2013 through August 17, 2013:
PLEASE NOTE: WEATHER RELATED IMPACTS MAY AFFECT THE SCHEDULED WORK
- Helen Street, between Cherry and Martin Avenues, will re-open by the end of the day Friday, August 9, 2013.
- Warren Avenue, from Second Street to north of First Street, will re-open by the end of the day Saturday, August 10, 2013. East and west bound travel through the First Street and Second Street intersections at Warren Avenue will also re-open by the end of the day Saturday, August 10, 2013.
- During the week of August 12, 2013, the contractor will begin its operation to power wash the rail in preparation of the Tucson Department of Transportation's inspection for substantial completion of the rail installation. This work will occur along the entire length of track. Traffic impacts will be minimal and only occur in the immediate work area. An officer will be on site to help direct traffic around the operation.
- On Monday, August 12, 2013, and Tuesday, August 13, 21013 the contractor will install temporary striping along Stevens Avenue, Fourth Avenue, University Boulevard, Park Avenue, Second Street, Warren Avenue and Helen Street. The striping operation will take place over night between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. each night.
Traffic impacts are expected to be minimal during the operation, however, on Tuesday, August 13, 2013, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning, parking will not be permitted along University Boulevard, between Fourth and Euclid Avenues.
- The contractor is continuing with the installation and adjustments of the overhead contact wire along Congress Street and Broadway from Toole Avenue to Granada Avenue.
- Motorists should expect lane restrictions in the area.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The contractor will continue installing traffic poles and signals, conduit, sidewalks, curb and access ramps in the following areas:
- Broadway, from Granada Avenue to Fifth Avenue.
- Granada Avenue, from Congress Street to Cushing Street.
- Cushing Street from Granada, west under I-10 to Avenida del Convento.
- Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area.
- Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Cushing Street, east of the westbound I-10 frontage road, has been re-opened. Cushing Street under I-10 will remain closed.
- ONGOING: Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- ONGOING: The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street/Broadway.
- ONGOING: The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersections of Church Avenue and Broadway and Stone Avenue and Broadway have been removed.
- Temporary three-way stops will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- Officers will direct traffic during peak travel times.
- ONGOING: The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersection of Granada Avenue and Congress Street have been removed.
- Temporary signals will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- ONGOING: The contractor is installing stop foundations and canopies and poles for the overhead contact system (OCS) in the downtown area along Congress Street and Broadway. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- ONGOING: The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Sixth Avenue.
- A temporary three-way stop is in place at the Broadway and Sixth Avenue intersection. This temporary traffic control will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- ONGOING: North and southbound Church Avenue, at Broadway, has been reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Because of the location of the work and restricted lanes, large trucks will not be allowed to turn at the intersection.
- North and southbound crosswalk access will be shifted from the east and west side of the Church Avenue and Broadway intersection as work progresses through the area.
- East and westbound crosswalk access will be maintained along both sides of the Broadway and Church Avenue intersection.
- Parking will not be allowed along the east side of Church Avenue, between Broadway and Jackson Street.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along Fourth Avenue or University Boulevard at this time.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time. If you wish to be removed from this e-mail list, please use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.