Sun Link Tucson Streetcar Construction & Testing Update
As construction activities for the Sun Link streetcar are nearly complete, this will be the last weekly traffic alert issued. During the streetcar testing phase, alerts will be sent as needed if impacts to the traveling public are expected.
The Sun Link Streetcar Team thanks each of you for your patience, consideration and cooperation during the construction phase of this project.
This update contains information about streetcar and systems testing, plus construction activities.If you have questions or concerns, call (520) 624-5656 to speak to a project team member.
This update is for the week beginning October 13, 2013.
On Sunday, October 13, through Wednesday, October 16, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., the Sun Link streetcar team will be conducting controlled high speed testing of Sun Link streetcar 101 along University Boulevard, between Fourth Avenue and Euclid Avenue. The controlled high speed test – where the streetcar vehicle travels at a maximum of 42 mph – is one in a series of tests that each of the eight streetcars must undergo to be certified for performance and safety. For the safety of residents and the traveling public, the following restrictions will be in place each night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. during the high speed tests:
- University Boulevard will be closed from Fourth Avenue to Euclid Avenue.
- Parking will not be permitted along University Boulevard, between Fourth and Euclid Avenues.
- In coordination with ParkWise, permitted vehicles may be parked on the side street nearest the permit holder’s residence.
- Access to and from driveways along University Boulevard between Fourth and Euclid Avenues will be temporarily impacted during the testing from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Side streets and alleys intersecting University Boulevard from Fourth Avenue to Euclid Avenue will be closed.
- Intermittent vehicle, pedestrian and bicycle travel across University Boulevard will be provided.
- Officers will help to direct traffic and pedestrians.
During the week, daytime and nighttime testing of the Sun Link streetcar 101 may occur. Typically the streetcar occupies the same travel lane as vehicles, except for specific ‘switch’ locations. During testing, please be aware of the following:
- Police officers may be present.
- Streetcar personnel may be walking with the streetcar to monitor tests.
- Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists are moving in a new transit environment.
- New directional signs and pavement markings are in place.
During the overnight hours Sunday, October 13, thru Friday morning, October 18, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. stripe crews will install symbols/legends and permanent roadway striping along the streetcar alignment west of I-10 and in the downtown area. There are some areas where obliteration (removal) of current marking is required. This striping operation will likely continue through the week of October 20 with overnight work hours of 9 p.m. through 5 a.m. Motorists should anticipate lane restrictions in the area of work.
The contractor will continue with utility adjustments along Broadway, Congress Street and Granada Avenue.
- Motorists should prepare for lane restrictions in the area of work.
- At least one travel lane will be maintained at all times.
The contractor will continue installing sidewalks, curb and access ramps in various locations along the streetcar route area.
- Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area.
- Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
Visit www.SunLinkStreetcar.com for more information about the project and streetcar testing. Streetcar Street-Smart Safety information for bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists – how-to videos, brochures, and tips – is also available online.
The testing and construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time. If you wish to be removed from this e-mail list, please use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message.